Last August, I spent the entire month writing every day to participate in a new blogging holiday invented by Belghast over at Tales of the Aggronaut. It was a fun event, even if that style of writing doesn’t always mesh with my own. For the most part, the articles I published that month were written in a few bursts of writing, rather than per day, though I did take time each day to do some light editing.
Next month, Blaugust returns and I am participating once again. My aim is to work my way through a backlog of half-written or never published drafts. Things may get a bit meta when I discuss why I didn’t publish a post while publishing it, but we will see. Given this past month’s troubles, many of my drafts have seen the light of day, so the backlog wasn’t what it once was when I had originally planned to join this year’s Blaugust extravaganza. In all likelihood, I will need to write more.
I am also hoping to add some short videos. I have been chasing a few trophies in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth as The Lost character. If you are unfamiliar, the game is one of those roguelikes where levels are randomized and dying means game over. The Lost ups the ante a bit by being a one-hit-death character. Normally, you could pick up health upgrades, but they don’t work on The Lost. I figured it’d be fun to run 31 attempts at these achievements and share the results with each Blaugust post in the form of the run itself (I don’t usually last more than 15 minutes).
It’s a really fun event, whether you really want to write or not. I found that challenge of posting everyday to be equally on par with posting quality content, and finding a few opportunities to do both made me feel all the better. Quality isn’t king with this event, however; sticking to the schedule reigns supreme. I recommend it for anyone, whether you have found your writing confidence or not, because it is great practice and a great excuse to push out some experimental posts.
To participate, Belghast has published a few guidelines on his announcement post:
- Write a new blog post of no less than ten sentences in length. This is essentially two large paragraphs and is a good solid minimum size. If you are doing a screenshot/photo blog just make sure your description explaining what the image is all about fits this constraint.
- Include a link back to the 2015 Blaugust Initiative Page. My hope is that this will allow other people to join in the challenge and play catch up.
- Advertise the post on the Blaugust Nook. When you join the nook I will be elevating everyone to “Blogger” access to do this. This is extremely key this year, because this is going to be how I log all posts, and if you do not do this you are not going to get proper credit.
- Either in the title of your post or the first heading inside of your actual post.. please denote which day this post is for. Something like “Blaugust Day 21” just to make sure that I am giving everyone credit for the correct day, and this should help to stop the oddities of folks in vastly different time zones getting dumped into the wrong slot.
- If you advertise the post on social media, please include the #Blaugust hashtag. Again we are trying to help spread the word and get folks to join in process… and at very least get folks reading the posts.
- Over the course of the month, write 31 posts.
If you need examples, here’s all 31 posts I did for the first ever Blaugust. You could review each one if you really have nothing else to write about:
- It’s #Blaugust Baby: Embrace the Wierd
- Go watch Guardians of the #Blaugust (sp?)
- Death? Exaggeration! The MMO bubble is just bursting …
- The Parable of the New Character
- A Call for New Perspective in Our Gaming Communities
- Turning Gaming Into a Wasteland: Polygon’s Contribution
- Thank you, Paul: A #Blaugust Rumination on Fighting
- Five songs I wish I had lost my virginity to.
- World of Warcraft: The Massive* Cycle of Dissapointment
- The #Blaugust Unicoronation
- 8bit Kitchen, “So, I’m a backer for this fermentation kit thing on Kickstarter …”
- “I don’t want to lose at this game”, said the boy with a crush.
- Dear Southwest Airlines: Please reconsider your policies.
- World of Warcraft: #10Years10Questions for #Blaugust and @AlternativeChat
- 8bit Kitchen, “Progression Based Cooking: Level 1 Guacamole”
- Cannot Be Tamed’s Gaming Questionnaire
- A Trip to Luclin (with Bhagpuss)
- Only on The Short Gamer, “Living and Gaming with a Stutter”
- 8bit Kitchen, “I Drank This: An Aloe Vera Drink with Mango!”
- Seriously, why aren’t we discussing Fantasy Life (3DS) more?
- Kicking & Sharing: Hive Jump (plus a short Q&A)
- The Rise and Fall of Blaugustus Caesar
- Forget EverQuest Next: I want EverQuest Again.
- Seems like Ice-based attacks are super effective against Murfs. #ALS #Blaugust
- 3DS: Bravely Default sequel, Bravely Second, finally shows up to the party.
- Every Transistor screenshot I took on my Playstation 4.
- The new Civilization game is going Beyond Expectations.
- My deep breath is over because Doctor Who is back!